About Me

My photo
Father, husband and currently in-between jobs. Just relocated to Michigan from Nebraska and am on the hunt for work! These are my musings about life so far and what I've done.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Unexpected concert and assorted thoughts.

Friday night was an incredible time of renewal for me. Normally on Friday nights I go to a Chinese Bible study in which my dad teaches a Bible class in English. But just before I went, I heard from a friend that one of my favorite local bands, Casting Pearls, would be playing at the Church building upstairs during the same time. So I pulled one of my friends from the study along with me and went to it. Turns out, it was an event for a new phenomena, Pulse, which has been sweeping college campuses recently. They had an opener for the show play some worship songs and then a guest speaker came and talked about his vision for evangelism and Christians at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln.

He started his presentation by telling everyone to put their hand over their heart. Next, he told us how he always stops and just feels his pulse when he gets discouraged about life. It reminds him that God still has plans and purposes for him. And then he talked about how Christians have a lack of spirituality not because they didn't have information about what they needed to do, but because they didn't have affection on Who has called them to love and to service. I knew that was true, but it was refreshing to hear it again. Truth was being re-affirmed for me, I guess you could say. And I was very encouraged by that.

An example he used, was about love. When you love someone else, you'd do everything to preserve the relationship no matter what that meant. If it means buying flowers, you'd buy those flowers (presuming you're the guy, or it could be vice-versa too, I suppose, lol) and it wouldn't be a duty or an obligation because you love them. It brings you joy to be a part of the smile that spreads across their face. That's how it should be with our relationship with God.

It was an amazing evening and time of worship! I really pray that the friend I took with me felt a fire for God, as they were a new believer. Overall, I was reminded how God can and does pull everything together for His children. I had no idea that this concert would be playing at the exact same time I would be at the Church anyway with my dad. God is so incredible!

On a side note, one thing I thought about, was why when we pray do we have to verbally invite Jesus into our presence? Jesus is present everywhere we are because the Holy Spirit lives inside of us. God said that wherever two are gathered in His name, He will be there too, so it isn't as though every time we throw a party God has to be added to the guest list and sent an invitation. I think it's more an issue of preparing our hearts for worship and obedience rather than telling God He should be in the mood to hang out. He's with us whether we're worshiping or not.

God bless,
~Curtis~

No comments: