About Me

My photo
Father, husband and currently in-between jobs. Just relocated to Michigan from Nebraska and am on the hunt for work! These are my musings about life so far and what I've done.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Personal Confession

Matthew 6.24a says, “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other.”

James 4.4 says, “Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.”

I had wandered into a dangerous and distant land. There were excuses, of course, lies that I had told myself and my parents even though I knew the truth. Perhaps that is why I wandered as far as I did. But, with God’s help, I am turning around now, and I only thank Him that my parents’ and sister’s attention was called to it before I destroyed any more of my soul.

I listened to music that was not honorable, pure, or glorifying to God by any means. Because of my desire to be embraced by the friendship of the world, I exposed my soul and the souls of others to the world’s filth. It no longer mattered to me if the music I pursued was obtained legally or not. Most of the secular cds I had were stolen from the internet.

Over the space of a few weeks, the videos I watched became progressively violent and morally objectionable. Furthermore, as I continued to watch, the more I was able to stomach and, ultimately, be desensitized by. I failed to realize that my parents’ protection was well-founded and necessary. In short, I was sacrificing my conscience on the altar of my pride.

As of the other day, I have smashed and deleted all the illegal music I own. I have decided to listen only and indefinitely to Christian and classical music. My bit-torrent program is erased and fire walled from my computer. I am also blocking the sites from which I streamed the movies. In accordance with all of this, I am resuming the habit of playing my Bible on audio before bed each night. My parents are also holding me more accountable for the time I spend on my laptop. Currently, I am writing up a letter to send to the record companies that I stole music from to inquire about reimbursement.

And now, I wish to extend an apology and a plea to everyone who knows me and who reads this. Please forgive me for the destructive influence I’ve been to you all. I have betrayed my core values and the trust I had established with my friends and family. I understand the ramifications of my actions and I’m willing to accept any consequences that may follow these confessions. But please also bear me up in prayer for my restoration. If any of you read, hear, or otherwise observe behavior, speech, or lifestyles in me that are not glorifying to God, hold me accountable for it. Inform me about it if I do not seem to notice it myself. If I have done something publicly, then reprove me publicly. I would also invite anyone to call my parents if they see anything un-Godly in me.

~Curtis~

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Curtis good for you. I am proud that you admit your wrongs and make it right again. Sometimes it is hard to admit when you are wrong and it is always nice to have a good support group, like your sister and parents who can call you out when you take a wrong path. Your always in my prayer bro, but something tells me you'll do well for yourself, you have got a good head on your shoulders.
I am proud of you bro. Most importantly Curtis, make sure you forgive yourself. Don't be yourself up about it when God has already forgiven you, because that to will stand in the way of your walk with God.
God Bless!
Your sister always,
Jessica

Swan said...

I'm going to miss the old you with all of my heart, but I suppose It's all for the best...
Good luck, you'll be in my prayers. = ]

BTW look @ your e-mail. There's something in there I need you to read...

Curtis said...

Thanks Jess! I really appreciate the encouragement and support! Thank you so much for your prayers, too. I'll be in prayer for everybody while I'm taking a break from my lappy time. I won't be on to post a lot anymore, but I will be reading replies when I get chances to.

Lol, Tori. What's to miss about stealing and lying? I'll still be random and spontaneous. I'm looking at all of this as a way to cut off a lot of dead weight that I was carrying around, so I'll be better equipped to serve God! :-)

Ttyls!
~Curtis~

Jessica said...

I am not on much anymore either, without a cord lappy is dying pretty often plus I am busy with school.
But I won't stop praying Bro!!

Ed said...

Its good to see that you take your convictions seriously. I hope you continue to strive to run the race with excellence, and that you don't let worldly pleasures get in the way of an eternal joy.
Thanks for sharing.

Michael said...

a broken spirit and a contrite heart are never despised by God. your confession and plea for forgiveness have both exposed and rendered powerless whatever sin you have committed.

this blog entry has encouraged me. God desires truth in the inward parts. based on your words, truth is already in you and it has led you to be right with Him. continue to seek Him, my brother. He draws near to those who draws near to Him.

you are lifted up in prayer.