About Me

My photo
Father, husband and currently in-between jobs. Just relocated to Michigan from Nebraska and am on the hunt for work! These are my musings about life so far and what I've done.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Water

I just drank the best water in the world. Lincoln water is the best ever. Not Blair water. Not Topeka water. Not even Minneapolis water. There's just something about water from the city you grew up in that is so magical. It's like seeing an old park you played at as a child, or a neighborhood you grew up in. This water is your childhood. As soon as you drink it, you just automatically recognize it.

I think the most magical thing in the world, is taking a bottle of home water with you on a trip. I don't know about you, but the fun was over as soon as my bottle was empty. It was my connection to home. Maybe it's a security blanket issue, (thank you, Peanuts) or maybe it's nostalgia, or even identification. This was the water I grew up with, played in and was nourished by. (well, not this very water, but water from the same source) I honestly don't know how I could deal with someone who didn't like water. We'd probably become bitter foes and wind up having it out with swords on a tall structure. In slow motion. Always in slow motion. And very dramatically.

You see, water from home never changes. I draw most of my security in life from this. You'll never wake one day to find out that the water-treatment plant had flavored it with strawberry or sassafras or pumpernickel. The world is a better place when you've had a glass of home water. You want to know why some kids grew up to be derelicts and evil people? Their mums didn't give them enough water to drink. Yup. It's not exactly clinically proven, but I'm pretty sure they'd at least be better citizens if they'd drank more water as they were growing up.

Water is just insanely fantastic. What do you think the phrase "the glass is half-full" was talking about? I can tell you what it wasn't talking about. It wasn't talking about a glass of scotch, or milk, or Sunny D. Oh no. It was talking about the all-natural goodness that is water. You also know what? In the end, it really doesn't matter whether the glass is half-full or half-empty. What matters, is who's going to drink the water that's left! And that "who" should be you.

People can have their coffee. That's fine. I like coffee. But there'd be no coffee in the mug if there weren't thousands of little water molecules running their little droplets off through the percolator. Just think about it. Every time you walk outside, you're walking over humongous underground ducts that pipe unfathomable amounts of water to thousands of people, bringing joy and happiness to their other-wise mundane lives! Want to stimulate the economy? Ask your local grocer for water! Water makes people happy. And everybody knows that happy people are productive people and economically-stimulating people! Are you a proud US citizen? Drink water! Are you an under-privileged, third class US citizen? Drink water! Are you a 70s draft-dodger and former president of the US? Drink water! All the world's most successful CEOs drank water!

*turns head to the side and dramatically takes a swig of water*

~Curtis~

16 comments:

Jessica said...

Bro you are the greatest for making me laugh. *Drinks water and smiles cheeseyily which is definetly a word* You are right though water is very important and something about childhood water is the best. Weird thought but it reminds me of when my sister and I used to play hours of Barbies in the bath tub. We didn't get out until are hands were too pruny to move lol. Water is good, but not warm from the fridge or old in the car, but good fresh down home tap water.
MMM MMM Good!
Jessica

Curtis said...

You said it, sis! My mom used to actually heat up my water in the winter time. Finally I just had to say, "Mum. You know I love you. You know that I know that no one else in the whole wide world can turn the water faucet like you do. But this "warm water" business has got to go. It's nothing against you personally. I still love you. I just need my water to be cold and refreshing." Yea, things got pretty tense for a few seconds, but then I gave her a hug and it was all good. Lol, ahh, the memories...

Jessica said...

*Wipes away tears* that was touching Curtis really. I really could tell you dug way down deep for that story.
On a serious note, kind of, warm water is really gross. Water is best cold, especially over ice.
Jessica

Anonymous said...

testing

Johanna said...

I dont like water much. it's fine, I guess, when I'm in the mood for it. but there's no plausible way I ever drink a freakin' eight glasses a day. yeah right. we should have a dual, Curtis. atop a skyscraper in New York at night with lightsabers in slow motion. I get the green one. yeah, that's definitely a good idea.

*dramatically takes drink of dark Colombian coffee*

Jessica said...

Oooh can I watch?! That sounds like fun. But it has to be a star wars meets Matrix with all the impressively impossible stunts k?
Jessica

Curtis said...

M'kay. We'll be sure to record that for ya. *grins*

Jessica said...

Thanks buddy. Make sure to do it on top of some abandoned but high tower somewhere or something lol.
Sorry to many action movies.
Jessica

Jim said...

You see, Norwood, where I used to live, the water was bad. It was pretty much swimming pool caliber water. Here, we have a well. We also live next to a dairy farm containing something like 300 cows. Needless to say, we don't really do the tap. We do have a filter though. And we buy Poland Spring. And I think you should duel on one of the suspension cables on the Brooklyn Bridge. That would be dramatic!

Anonymous said...

haha, the end totally makes it!

Jessica said...

Oh yeah Brooklyn bridge. That would be perfect!! Good thinking Jim!
Jessica

Johanna said...

ooh! even better, we could have a long chase first...like over a bunch of countries and the climax is where we duel on the Brooklyn Bridge at midnight with lightsabers. ooh! and we'll have a squirt gun battle, and yours is filled with water and mine is filled with coffee (cause that's what this whole duel is about, remember?) and we'll see which one is better.

are you sure you want to do this, Curtis? I learned to duel at a very young age, complements of my brothers. it was either learn how to fight or get held down and burped on. :P

Curtis said...

Woah, woah, WOAAAAAH! I didn't say that I didn't like coffee. In fact, I'd prefer that mug of coffee over a glass of water, but it's just a fact that you need water before you have coffee. Maybe I was just saying that coffee is so wonderful because it came from water!

*disclaimer*

Not that it wouldn't be fun to have a country side chase followed by a light-saber fight atop a dangerously high building... It's just that I wouldn't want to spill blood over a mis-understanding. *Jo, I'm sure that you have all sorts of mad skills from being beat up by Jim, but we can't ignore the facts here. I trained secretly in Tibet with the monks in the dark arts of jujitsu, shape-shifting, gunjitsu, swordjitsu, kobudo, karate and squirtgunjitsu. It'd be a massacre.*

Johanna said...

really? it sounded to me like you had something against coffee. and that, my boy, is an insult of gigantic proportions. :) *spanish accent* (or is it Italian?) I challenge you to a duel!*

And don't worry about me...you don't know Jim like I do. he could take out any of those monks and their fancy "itsu" words. I don't care who you are...when Jim wraps you up in a blanket until the point of extreme claustrophobia and/or severe suffocation, not even shape-shifting can save you. :)

Curtis said...

Lol, this is true... I've seen Jim wrestle with Gabe before... it was pretty intense. Gabe said that he went easy on Jim, but I dunno... lol.

Swan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.