About Me

My photo
Father, husband and currently in-between jobs. Just relocated to Michigan from Nebraska and am on the hunt for work! These are my musings about life so far and what I've done.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Whiter Shade of Pale

Yo. Welcome to another fun, pointless blog. :) I'm going to try to incorporate some different things in my post. This is going to be another "what's on Curtis' mind tonight?" *grins* Welcome to a brave new world.

Maybe I'll pretend to be Norwegian and start all my paragraphs with "so then," lol. Oh, and I'll make dreadfully uninteresting declarative sentences. You know the kind. The ones that people make when they really don't want to be talking to you at all. You both stare at your drinks and glance awkwardly in different directions, as if you'd prefer stepping out in front of a runaway semi just about now.

"So then... you work in accounting?"

It never really is a question. And then, it isn't an observation of life, either. It's more like an acknowledgment, like nodding to a stranger as you pass him on the street. Something has to be said because something has to fill in the silence. Goodness, anything but the dreadful silence.

"Yes."

Wow. As if that solitary statement doesn't do more to kill the conversation than saying something stupid. I mean, even if you slapped the man across the face or dumped your drink over his wife's head, at least that would launch into an inquiry. Of course, it wouldn't be the socially recommended thing to do if you were aiming to begin a meaningful friendship. There are more awkward glances. Simultaneously, you clear your throats as if you're both visualizing the same semi, gunning down the freeway, with you, gleefully standing on the curb, ready to meet your Maker.

"How many years have you been there?"

The other man jerks his head back around to the conversation. He was just thinking about running over to the punch bowl and submerging his head until he expired.

"What?"

A look of disappointment spreads across his features. You repeat your question.

"How many years have you been working in accounting?"

"Oh, about 20 years now."

If you really want to gamble, ask a man about his job. Your results in opening such a field of discussion will be quite varied. If he loves his job, then you have hit the jackpot and a life-long friendship is practically secured. If he hates his job, then you will get a cold reply with a reproachful look at bringing up such a painful subject at a social function. At this point, you will need to use one of those emergency conversation respirators such as the weather or politics if you want to salvage the situation. If he is simply indifferent about his job then you are lost. You might as well say something stupid and leave the room immediately.

"Ah. How do you like your job?"

These are dangerous and uncharted waters now. It will be either sink or swim from here on. The man has been working there for 20 years, so he clearly ought to have a firmly-developed opinion about his place of employment. There will be no indifference about the matter. If he hates his job, then you will be faced with quite a daunting task. The very survival of the relationship now hangs in the balance.

"The pay is horrible. People need to learn how to appreciate a good employee when they have one."

This is the moment when the hero of the narrative looks to the east. Time slows down and for some reason, nothing can touch him as the resolution to the conflict comes riding over the next hill on a white steed. A brilliant, almost blinding light shines from beyond the hill. Your friend has returned from the bathroom. Your salvation has come.

"Well. It looks like we're ready to take off! It was nice meeting you."

Here, we have another irony. Even if both parties have internally agreed that the conversation has been a complete waste of time and brain cells, you still carry out the conventionalities. It's like giving a cigarette to a condemned man. Another prime example of these conventionalities is, "Stop by anytime you're in the neighborhood!" Of course they don't honestly expect you to stop by anytime you're in the neighborhood. In most cases, they're hoping that you don't even make it as far as the neighborhood. Or there's another classic, "I was in the area, so I thought I'd drop in!" They probably drove all the way across town to be a bug on your doormat, a grub in your garden, a proverbial fly in your proverbial greenhouse of life. In reality, they are trying to cover up their social blunder with guises of politeness.

So then. That's all I have for y'all tonight! I'll be blogging again soon! Ttyls!
~Curtis~

9 comments:

Jessica said...

You are so fun do you know that? I love this lesson in communication, it sounds like a personal experience, or at least a very good imagination. Have a great day bro and thank you for making me smile.
Jessica

Johanna said...

hahaha! I can totally see all that like it was happening right before my eyes! very picture-esque. is that a word? whatever. it was great Curtis! well done! long live the Norwegians!

Curtis said...

Lol, yup yup! Of course I'm so fun! This blog has more of a Wodehouse aspect to it, I thought, minus the English expressions, though. And yes, I do think that picturesque is a word. Just leave out the hyphen and you'll have it!

Maybe I'll start a series on social behavior... Idk... I suppose I could be the new "Miss Manners" or something... :-P

Jessica said...

Wodehouse rocks!! By the way I read the Sayers book and she was good to. Picturesque is definitely a word and Curtis you rock. Please write more because you make me laugh but never ever become miss manner, thats just creepy.
Jessica

Curtis said...

*grins* But you never know... maybe the original "Miss Manners" was some dude, too... Hmm... okies, maybe that is a little creepy. Don't worry, I'm not planning to adopt a feminine pseudonym (I'm pretty sure that's the word I need) any time soon, lol.

I deff will keep writing! It's almost addicting once I've started. Hopefully there will be many more posts to follow.

So do you guys like it when I intersperse some serious posts with the whacked-out ones like I've been doing?

Johanna said...

Maybe I LIKE the hyphen! words with "esque" at the end should always have a hyphen! so there!! *door slams*

Jessica said...

Oh Jo come back we were just reassuring you. I misspell thing all the time and use bad grammar to the point that it drives Curtis crazy, but I am not changing it lol. it is easier and faster to write that way.
Curtis I actually do like the serious mixed in, it shows a side of you that is rare. But umm keep the male persona thanks, no miss manners or any other female persona's.
Hey also check out my new post, it is kind of sad though.
Jessica

Anonymous said...

So have I told you lately that you're hilarious?

I read your posts out loud to my Natalie, and she laughs too... :-)

(At least, I read your sat post to her, and she laughed. I haven't read her this one yet, but she will, because she loves Wodehouse too.)

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about Norwegians or Wodehouse, but I loved this--and yeah, a series on social behavior would be gollld.